Sunday, April 3, 2016

Apr 3 - National FIND A RAINBOW Day

"Look, look, look to the rainbow..."

Today was difficult.  I filled in for someone for minimal pay at a particular job they were doing.  It is one of those gigs that generally puts out WAY more pressure than pay.  I didn't want to do it, but I felt compelled.  I don't want to do it in the future but continuing for the need is actually a possibility.  And there are challenging people that vex me significantly.  I had to kindly put them in their place in order to get the job done.  I was tired upon returning home; so very, very tired.  I needed Starbucks and a cigarette.  And no, I am not even a smoker.  I just wanted one real bad.  And the powers that be really want me to come back.  Sigh.

We've always celebrated rainbows in my family.  My parents were married under a rainbow of carnations.   I was born in a hospital under a rainbow in NZ.  I have photographic proof of that.  Mom and Dad also helped me paint one on my bedroom wall when I was 12.  But ... why rainbows?  

I think it's something more than my mom calling dad the pot of gold at the end of her rainbow (*collective awwww*).  It's something more than the birth they waited so long to experience.  It's definitely more than the fact that it was a 'thing' in the 80s and therefore ... my wall.

I hope these lovely rainbows and a those small rays of hope that are seen in difficult times remind YOU that life can truly be a rainbow of promise.  Every day is a new chance to show OUR true colours ... and our quality as people who do not let life break them.  Many challenges have completely thwarted some of my valiant attempts to take steps in a certain direction.  And it may happen again.  And again.  But I have seen the end results of looking to the rainbow.  I have looked back on my life MANY a time and thought, "Hmm.  Yeah.  That totally makes sense now."  Even though it sure as heck didn't in the moment of trial.  I'm NOT saying everything works out in the end.  Sometimes it SURE DOES NOT.  But that makes those other rainbow moments OH, so unbelievably precious when it does.
"For you never grow old and you never stand still
With whippoorwills singin' beyond the next hill..."
Look to the Rainbow (lyrics by E.Y. Harburg; music by Burton Lane)




No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...