Friday, April 22, 2016

Apr 22 - Earth Day

I admit to being a hippie type so Earth Day, as some say, 'is my jam.'  But I don't see recycling, planting trees, or shredding my junk mail as hippie.  I kinda see it as a decent attempt at stewardship, yeah?

I decided to make a few pledges to myself and the environment each earth day even though I don't make a big deal about it.  Sometimes I can be really bad at these things too, so I figure if I make it a personal goal then maybe, just maybe, I'll make an itty bitty difference.  One year I decided to shred all our junk mail.  This year it is not to leave the water running while I brush my teeth and, except for the ones I plant myself, to only buy vegetables from the Amish farmer's market.

It might seem simple to make tiny goals, but I have failed at a couple of them before because I made too many.  There are things I do as a regular basis now, but only because I started out only doing that one thing instead of trying to overwhelm myself with new ideas.

Oh, and the shredding is to feed my garden worms so they can poop it out and recycle their own waste to fertilize my vegetable garden.  Anyhoo ... Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...