Saturday, April 16, 2016

Apr 16 - National Record Store Day


Does anyone else love the smell of vintage 33 covers?

I took a quick photo of these records I saw at The Great Escape, each of which I have either owned, listened to at my cousin's, or, in the case of these, happened to be show that my friend Dan was in and, well, there was a whole lot of Babs at his place too.  Anyhoo, I can't believe it has been this long in life and it finally dawns on me that my love of all things musical theatre was passed on from my parents.  There were a number of contemporary hits in their collection, but as I flipped through these records I saw some REALLY familiar ones from my parents' stash ... Zero Mostel: Fiddler on the Roof, Finian's Rainbow, Camelot, The Man of La Mancha, The Music Man, My Fair Lady, Carol Burnett: Once Upon a Mattress, Mary Martin: Peter Pan .... and I knew every word.  Especially the Camelot score. "Don't let it be forgot ..." 

I grabbed and purchased most of them at the record store today.  FOR CHEEEEEAAAAAP!  Oh yeah, and Damn Yankees ... which my parents did NOT own (preacher's family and all lol).  I discovered the love of that score from a college roomie, Martha, who IF I am remembering correctly, played Lola once upon a time.  So my decision to fly by the record store when I realized what day it is made me also fly through some awesome memories.

I can almost smell the aging covers now ... well, possibly because they are all over the bed as I type.  I enjoy this particular sensory overload.  Oh yeah!  My husband gave me a phonograph for Christmas ... now to decide which one I shall enjoy first!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...