Thursday, April 21, 2016

Apr 21 - World Kindergarten Day

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge.  That mysth is more potent than history.  That dreams are more powerful than facts.  That hope always triumphs over experience.  That laughter is the only cure for grief.  And I believe that love is strong than death."  Amen.

It is World Kindergarten Day.  All I know about this is that kindergarten was started in Germany ... in and around the 1860s after Prussia kind of outlawed it ... but after the guy who tried to start them passed away the law was abolished or something.  This holiday is on his birthday and his name was Friedrich Froebe.  I have no idea why the education of little ones was outlawed in the first place because getting a jump start on reading and writing is, erm, kinda helpful, but whatever.  Good for Froebe though.

The early school years are usually full of excitement, growth, wonder ... Fulghum's instantly popular book offers up a great list of things we learn in those formative that stay with us for the rest of our lives.  I just feel very sad for kids who have been deprived of that first year.  I live with two of them.  I hope in some way we can back track their process just a little ... enough to make a difference and bring back the wonder.

"And then tremember the Dick and Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK."

(above two quotes from Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)



No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...