Saturday, April 2, 2016

Apr 2 - National Ferret Day

"The ferret sat and examined his foot.  "What is the world AM I?" he asked, alarmed.  "I look like some sort of rodent!"  --Rachel Roberts, Circles in the Stream

I was going to say something quirky about it being PBJ day, but ... I am not making this up; this VERY MORNING I was driving back from my kid's soccer game when I saw, in a neighbourhood, a FERRET laid out flat in the road.  It was so sad.  Then I sat down to write about sandwiches and double-checked my quirky holiday list.  Today is also a day to celebrate ferrets, who are very lively and intelligent companions.  We do not have a ferret ... although I SO would do that if it were possible in our home.  This is a day to also focus on care and responsible ownership of said creatures.

These furry dudes that are related to polecats, have actually been domesticated for quite a while.  They really are great buddies and although they may not quite understand not to bother babies while they are sleeping, my ferret-owning friends says they are quite lovely roommates.  They are NOT all smelly and quarrelsome (hey, I'm sure some have been -- but I know some people who have a tendency towards stink and arguments).  If one wants a house cat, but cannot own one due to allergies, a ferret is quite a pleasant, loyal, and satisfying substitute.

I just truly hate that one of them met it's end as roadkill today.   *sigh*
BUT ... on a much lighter side ... THIS VIDEO IS HYSTERICAL!  (woops!)

I will now make everyone a PBJ to celebrate National Ferret Day.  Come on over ... however, in order to get to our house for this occasion you must act like a ferret and find a gap that no one else can see to slide on in.  We will not tell you where it is.
Our friend John's charming ferret family.
'Pepper' is staring at YOU while the others sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...