Saturday, March 19, 2016

March 19 - Let's Laugh Day!

Observed annually around the world, March 19th is National Let’s Laugh Day.
Our neighbours across the street took this photo for us because
this happy woodpecker was in our own front yard!

How appropriate that our neighbours across the street just sent me this photo of the pleated woodpecker who comes to us every spring.  Here he is, enjoying himself in our yard.  We have all heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine."  This is the day to take your medicine.  As we all know, laughter can also be contagious.  Even faking it seems to have some benefits.  Classes called “laughter yoga” engage the abdominal muscles, lungs, arms and facial muscles while using humor to get us laughing to cure what ails us.  In the same vein, we do this at the beginning and end of my tai chi class.  One time we ALL started cracking up and that's how class ended.
So simple it is easy to miss, laughter (of course) moves BY INTERTIA toward the heart.  Deep diaphragmatic breathing stimulates the cleansing of the lymph system by creating a vacuum effect which pulls the lymph through the bloodstream. This increases the rate of toxic elimination by as much as 15 times the normal rate.” – Dr. J.W. Shields, MD (Dr. J.W. Shields, MD, Lymph, lymph glands, and homeostasis. Lymphology, v25, n4, December 1992, p. 147.)
So, to improve my heart, I am going to read some Dave Barry or something.  And, I am going to put HUMOUR as another subtitle in my book groups on my Kindle.  Why this has not happened before is beyond me.  And, now to put some books in there.  Here goes:
  1. Torn Trousers:  A True Story of Courage and Adventure (by Andrew St. Pierre and Gwynn White - how a couple sacrificed everything to escape to paradise 
  2. Chickens, Mules, and Two Old Fools (by Victoria Twead) - culture shock as chicken farmers in Spain
  3. Beat Slay Love:  One Chef's Hunger for Delicious Revenge (by six people I have never heard of but sound like they have hilarious stories) - I dunno, I like mysteries but this is written by five people and it's supposed to be hilarious ... at least that's what the authors say LOL
  4. Something Missing:  A Novel (by Matthew Dicks) - A career criminal with OCD tendencies ... Monk off his meds?  I dunno, but it looks interesting
  5. The Toaster Oven Mocks Me (by Steve Margolis) - apparently (and according tooooo ... maybe the author's own plug on Amazon?) a humorous memoir that chronicles Steve’s discovery, concealment, and eventual acceptance of synesthesia; a peculiar condition where one sense is stimulated, and two senses respond. 
  6. Who Left the Cork Out of My Lunch?  Middle Age, Modern Marriage, and Other Complications (byVikki Claflin) -- yeah, I just liked the hilarious title and it's about women my age, so why not?  Wish me luck!
  7. That Bear Ate My Pants!  Adventures of a real Idiot Abroad (by Tony James Slater) - a travel book that sounds like a real hoot, so here goes ...
  8. I'd Rather Wear Pajamas (by Chelsea Flagg) -  I get this.  I hope it doesn't suck.
These last two were recommended by my Kiwi friends.
  • The Laughing Policeman:  My Brilliant Career in the New Zealand Police, BOOK 1 (by Glenn Wood) 

  • The Soaring Kiwi and the Sauerkraut (by Phil Southward)
I wonder how long it will take me to get through all eleven books?  Maybe I'll write about it.  Oh wait.  ;-)  

Anyone need a quicker giggle?  Remember Uncle Alfred in this old gem from Walt Disney?  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...