Friday, March 11, 2016

MARCH 11 - Johnny Appleseed Day



Johnny Appleseed is a folk hero based on frontier nurseryman John Chapman, who established orchards throughout the American Midwest.  He was born on September 26, 1774, in Leominster, Massachusetts. Chapman was an eccentric frontier nurseryman who established orchards throughout the American Midwest. He became the basis of the folk hero Johnny Appleseed, who has been the subject of countless stories, movies and works of art. Chapman died of pneumonia on March 18, 1845 in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Okay, that is the short version.  And now, in honour of Chapman, here is everything I know about apples.

1.  They are grown in every single state in the US ... apparently thanks to this overzealous dude.
2,  God didn't make little green apples....was sung by the same guy who played Alan A'Dale, the minstrel rooster in Walt Disney's Robin Hood, who dissed Walt Disneyland in the same song, if ya think about it. lol
3.  The best apples IN THE WORLD are grown in New Zealand ... Granny Smith apples, which, I know, are grown elsewhere, but gimme a bias to my birthplace.
4.  I eat a LOT of them if I ever, errrrm ... "need fiber."  Otherwise, I'm not very good at eating them. The average person eats about 65 apples each year.  I am not average.  I fail this statistic.  Well, until I have to poop.
5.  There is a "fear of apples."  It is called malusdomesticaphobia.  I've known it exists, but I have to look it up every time to confirm the name (for obvious reasons, I mean malusdomesticaphobia, really?).  Anyway, I have looked it up to see if I had it.  I don't.  I have onlywanttheminapplepie-ia.  They taste great, but they will sit in a bowl for days until I HAVE to make apple pie out of them .. *wink wink*

I'm sure there is way more to know about apples, but I don't know these things ... aaaaaand I don't personally care.  The fact that Johnny Appleseed was probably one dude who was an overzealous preacher gives me no surprise at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...