Saturday, May 7, 2016

May 7 - Barrier Awareness Day

Visible and invisible barriers are equally difficult to overcome.  With support, deliberate learning and mindfulness these obstacles can be raised and enable people with disabilities to live more liberated and self-fulfilled lives.  I can think of several people I know who have some form of disability but their determination to ignore naysayers and live out their dreams is nothing short of inspirational.  My impulse is to list a few but I dare not draw attention to a disability.  Instead, I will tell you what they do and pass on the inspiration.  Here are some things that have been accomplished by people I know personally with a serious disability:  hairdresser, preacher, mechanic, actor, singer, author, teacher, and athletic class instructor.

I did not begin with the famous … Beethoven, Van Gogh, Frido Kahlo, Stephen Hawking.  And how about freaking Helen Keller?  All of these people did not want to be known for their physical difficulties, they ... just ... did.  So, let me pass on one word of advice on this day which was passed on to me by a hearing impaired friend.  "Telling someone they are 'inspirational' can be just as insulting as focusing on the disability."   

Capische?   May that little nugget inspire all of us to ... just ... DO.

Oh ... and P.S. ... it is also Naked Gardening Day. So I'm going to tear that barrier down right now!  *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...