Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May 4 - National Star Wars Day

Well, if there were ever a holiday that encapsulated a culture ...

Star Wars originally opened in theatres late in May of 1977.  Two years later in the same month, on, well, May 4, a Danish writer sent a congratulatory message to Margaret Thatcher who had on the same day taken office as the prime minister.  She referenced the (quickly becoming) iconic film and congratulated her by saying, "May the 4th be with you, Maggie."  *giggle giggle snort snort*  Years later (somewhere in the 90s) this phrase was smirkingly repeated in Parliament but it wasn't until a few years ago that this day was to become an actual international holiday ... and geek cheers were heard around the world.

Okay, my claim to geekdom is the fact that I have, in fact, stood in line on opening night for every last film, including the first two in 1977 and 1980 with my dad, in 1983 with my freshmen bffs, in 1999 as a newlywed with my hubby, a groomsman and his really cool dad in tow, in 2002 and 2005 with Dave (of course), and in 2015 for the latest installment we were in line wearing handmade "I love you/I know" matching sweatshirts.  We also have matching bracelets with the same reference.  Does that make us crazy?  Oh HECK yeah ... and we plan to pass it on to the kids this December. *grin*

Yep, celebrating by dressing up as a storm trooper or hosting a movie marathon is completely acceptable (and expected!) on this day.  As for me, I am celebrating by writing this blurb and I'll just continue wearing my Star-Wars-Muppet mashup t-shirt, but I may also put blue food colouring in my son's milk tonight à la Aunt Buru.  And, even though I am not a Catholic, I will probably not be able to help myself if anyone says to me, "May the fourth be with you," by responding,

                                                                                                         "...and also with you."  Tee hee hee.

If ONLY I had saved every ticket stub.  But in 1977 with episode IV ... I mean, really ... who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 25 - National Towel Day

WHY A TOWEL?   Well ...  "... a towel ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch-hiker can have. Partly ...